Welcome to Stout Education
Stout Education (formerly Freeman Center) was founded in 2001 by Steve Freeman, a local teacher who had taught in Centralia since 1970. Today, we are proud to say that we have served hundreds of students from communities throughout Southwest Washington. Our students have been between 4 and 77. They have been struggling students and they have been extremely advanced students. Some have hated school while others have loved it.
Whether your student needs extra help or just needs to be challenged to reach even higher goals, we can help.
Our building was built in 1923 in the Historic Edison District of Centralia. Its design incorporated elements of popular designs of the day, from the “dog-eared” ridges of its high roof to the wide, front porch with a 40″ wide front door, heavy corbels and semi-circular roof. For the first 83 years of its life it served as home to a few families. It was always well cared for and stood tall as many people traveled 1st Street between downtown and Fords Prairie.
In 2007, this fine, old home became the home of Stout Education. Today, it includes four classrooms (formerly known as Living Room, Dining Room, Bedroom and Den). The long-neglected basement was renovated into a “Science Laboratory”. Today, it is not uncommon to see young students learning to read, older students working on math or language, high school students learning Algebra while a group of students are in the basement building rockets or Lego robots.
This is what happens when a guy has a shop, access to wood, a bit of free time and a wild imagination! The idea sprung from a discussion of geometry which included using the angles and proportions of a pencil to create problems for students to solve. A few weeks later, a giant pencil was born. It is 24′ tall and 2′ in diameter. The body is made from 12″x 1/2″ recycled cedar. The ferrule is three pieces of sheet metal, shaped and riveted together. The current eraser is made from a 40 gallon drum which was made in Greece. The current point was turned from laminated wood which was recycled from the pipes of a 1906 theater pipe organ. The tip is actually the end of a metal pipe from the same pipe organ. It is made from a zinc and lead alloy so it looks a lot like graphite!